From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: I'm up, at long last!
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 04:06:27
1 On 2011-04-19, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> writes:
3 >
4 >> I think there's really only two ways to install Linux: you either go the
5 >> Ubuntu route, where everything's done for you and you accept somebody
6 >> else's defaults, or you go with Gentoo, where you do everything
7 >> yourself. I think anything in the middle, like Debian, just leads to
8 >> confusion and uncertainty. I don't know where Fedora and SuSE fit into
9 >> all this.
10 >
11 > Jumping into the asbestos drawers... the sterling things about Debian
12 > are that it is more oldschool than ubuntu and its good for when you
13 > get sick of compiling everything from scratch over and over.
14 >
15 > For some things, I don't care if I'm accepting someone elses' defaults.
16 >
17 > I've stuck with Gentoo for several yrs now for my main desktop and
18 > would be very unwilling to switch for that usage, however, I prefer
19 > Debian for virtual guests on windows. It just installs right off,
20 > when you need a full linux OS in a bit of a hurry.
23 I still think Debian installed too many things I don't use. When I
24 need a Linux VM in a hurry, I'd go Arch. Some people worry about its
25 unsigned packages, but as long as I stick to well-known mirrors, I
26 should be okay.
27
28 The beauty of Arch is that its installation is very granular; I can
29 truly pick components I want to have, and leave out those I won't ever
30 use.
31
32 But if I *do* have the time, I'll always take the Gentoo-route :)
35 Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer
36 My website: http://pandu.poluan.info/