From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] creating an image of the system
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 19:40:09
1 Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 > Am 09.09.2013 21:05, schrieb Benjamin Block:
3 >> On 08:30 Mon 09 Sep , Michael Hampicke wrote:
4 >>> Am 08.09.2013 20:51, schrieb Benjamin Block:
5 >>>> Hej folks,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I wonder what is a good way to create an image of a gentoo-system, so
8 >>>> that one can apply it later to the same or other computers.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> In my case it is a rather simple setup: one partition, no encryption or
11 >>>> lvm. Its a debug-setup, so its only used for certain programming-tasks
12 >>>> and not for daily work, so no need for something fancy. The time I
13 setup
14 >>>> that system I also used only conservative compilation-flags and
15 >>>> optimisation, so that it can be used on other CPUs (well, they have to
16 >>>> be x86_64 and have to have mmx/sse[23] - but I think every setup that I
17 >>>> intend to use this on will have these properties).
18 >>>>
19 >>>> So I reckon that one could just use tar with
20 permission-preservation and
21 >>>> some excludes like dev/sys/proc/tmp. But is this a good idea or is
22 there
23 >>>> a better way to do this? I never cloned a gentoo-system, so thats why I
24 >>>> would like to be at least somewhat sure about it, so that I don't have
25 >>>> to reconfigure it later again, because I messed it up :D
26 >>>>
27 >>>
28 >>> Tar with permission preservation is fine. Just exlude everything in
29 >>> dev/sys/proc/tmp as you said. But make sure, that these directories are
30 >>> in your tar file, it does not matter if they are empty, but they have to
31 >>> exist in order to boot proplery.
32 >>>
33 >>> One special case. To boot you most likely will need /dev/console and
34 >>> /dev/null. Just inlcude those two device nodes in your tar file.
35 >>>
36 >>
37 >> Thanks for pointing that out, but why are these both special? Seems to
38 >> me like these are also (char)device-nodes and shouldn't they also be
39 >> generated by the kernel with DEVTMPFS and then udev at a very early
40 >> init-stage?
41 >
42 > If you have DEVTMPFS enabled you should be fine. But not everybody has
43 > that enabled, or even uses udev :-)
46 I would include them just in case. Why take the chance that it fails
47 for whatever reason.
48
49 Dale
50
54 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
55 how you interpreted my words!