From: Michael Hampicke <mh@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] creating an image of the system
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 19:22:05
1 Am 09.09.2013 21:05, schrieb Benjamin Block:
2 > On 08:30 Mon 09 Sep , Michael Hampicke wrote:
3 >> Am 08.09.2013 20:51, schrieb Benjamin Block:
4 >>> Hej folks,
5 >>>
6 >>> I wonder what is a good way to create an image of a gentoo-system, so
7 >>> that one can apply it later to the same or other computers.
8 >>>
9 >>> In my case it is a rather simple setup: one partition, no encryption or
10 >>> lvm. Its a debug-setup, so its only used for certain programming-tasks
11 >>> and not for daily work, so no need for something fancy. The time I setup
12 >>> that system I also used only conservative compilation-flags and
13 >>> optimisation, so that it can be used on other CPUs (well, they have to
14 >>> be x86_64 and have to have mmx/sse[23] - but I think every setup that I
15 >>> intend to use this on will have these properties).
16 >>>
17 >>> So I reckon that one could just use tar with permission-preservation and
18 >>> some excludes like dev/sys/proc/tmp. But is this a good idea or is there
19 >>> a better way to do this? I never cloned a gentoo-system, so thats why I
20 >>> would like to be at least somewhat sure about it, so that I don't have
21 >>> to reconfigure it later again, because I messed it up :D
22 >>>
23 >>
24 >> Tar with permission preservation is fine. Just exlude everything in
25 >> dev/sys/proc/tmp as you said. But make sure, that these directories are
26 >> in your tar file, it does not matter if they are empty, but they have to
27 >> exist in order to boot proplery.
28 >>
29 >> One special case. To boot you most likely will need /dev/console and
30 >> /dev/null. Just inlcude those two device nodes in your tar file.
33 > Thanks for pointing that out, but why are these both special? Seems to
34 > me like these are also (char)device-nodes and shouldn't they also be
35 > generated by the kernel with DEVTMPFS and then udev at a very early
36 > init-stage?
37
38 If you have DEVTMPFS enabled you should be fine. But not everybody has
39 that enabled, or even uses udev :-)