From: Benjamin Block <bebl@××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] creating an image of the system
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 19:05:47
1 On 08:30 Mon 09 Sep , Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 > Am 08.09.2013 20:51, schrieb Benjamin Block:
3 > > Hej folks,
4 > >
5 > > I wonder what is a good way to create an image of a gentoo-system, so
6 > > that one can apply it later to the same or other computers.
7 > >
8 > > In my case it is a rather simple setup: one partition, no encryption or
9 > > lvm. Its a debug-setup, so its only used for certain programming-tasks
10 > > and not for daily work, so no need for something fancy. The time I setup
11 > > that system I also used only conservative compilation-flags and
12 > > optimisation, so that it can be used on other CPUs (well, they have to
13 > > be x86_64 and have to have mmx/sse[23] - but I think every setup that I
14 > > intend to use this on will have these properties).
15 > >
16 > > So I reckon that one could just use tar with permission-preservation and
17 > > some excludes like dev/sys/proc/tmp. But is this a good idea or is there
18 > > a better way to do this? I never cloned a gentoo-system, so thats why I
19 > > would like to be at least somewhat sure about it, so that I don't have
20 > > to reconfigure it later again, because I messed it up :D
23 > Tar with permission preservation is fine. Just exlude everything in
24 > dev/sys/proc/tmp as you said. But make sure, that these directories are
25 > in your tar file, it does not matter if they are empty, but they have to
26 > exist in order to boot proplery.
27 >
28 > One special case. To boot you most likely will need /dev/console and
29 > /dev/null. Just inlcude those two device nodes in your tar file.
32 Thanks for pointing that out, but why are these both special? Seems to
33 me like these are also (char)device-nodes and shouldn't they also be
34 generated by the kernel with DEVTMPFS and then udev at a very early
35 init-stage?
36
37 > Optionally use compression (gz, bz2, xz, ...) on your tar to safe some
38 > space.
42 - Ben