From: "Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov" <ploujj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question regarding non-Portage software...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 05:28:25
1 On 3/10/07, Chris <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA256
4 >
5 > Hello Everyone,
6 >
7 > I will begin by stating my problem. I have the source code (in
8 > *.tar.bz2 format) for a couple of pieces of software that are not in the
9 > Portage tree at all. I would like to compile and install them in such a
10 > way that I can use them, and even so Portage recognizes them.
11
12 You most likely want to install that software in /usr/local as per
13 Gentoo's filesystem layout [1]. The way you can do that with
14 autotoolized software is like this:
15
16 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
17 make
18 make install
19
20 I don't know what you mean by making Portage recognize the software
21 installed this way. Do you want Portage to be able to uninstall and/or
22 upgrade this software? If so, the simple answer is you it can't do
23 that. You have to manage the software outside of Portage yourself.
24
25 > I have read the official Gentoo documentation regarding Portage, ebuilds
26 > and diverting from the Portage tree and while it gave me some ideas, it
27 > really didn't fully answer the question of exactly *how* to do what I want.
28
29 You probably arrived at this state because that documentation wasn't
30 talking about what you really wanted :)
33 References:
34 [1] - http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/filesystem/index.html
37 Libre Software:
38 http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html