From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question regarding non-Portage software...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:10:54
1 Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov writes:
2
3 > You most likely want to install that software in /usr/local as per
4 > Gentoo's filesystem layout [1]. The way you can do that with
5 > autotoolized software is like this:
6 >
7 > ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
8 > make
9 > make install
10 >
11 > I don't know what you mean by making Portage recognize the software
12 > installed this way. Do you want Portage to be able to uninstall and/or
13 > upgrade this software? If so, the simple answer is you it can't do
14 > that. You have to manage the software outside of Portage yourself.
15
16 Additionally, I like to have the stuff separated in sub-directories
17 of /usr/local, and use stow or better xstow to create symlinks, so the
18 software appears to be installed directly in /usr/local.
19
20 emerge xstow
21 mkdir /usr/local/stow
22 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/foo-1.2.3 && make && make install
23 cd /usr/local/stow
24 xstow foo-1.2.3
25
26 To later uninstall, without the need to use "make uninstall":
27 cd /usr/local/stow
28 xstow -D foo-1.2.3
29 \rm -r foo-1.2.3
30
31 Or to try out a newer version of foo, without deleting foo-1.2.3:
32 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/foo-1.2.4 && make && make install
33 cd /usr/local/stow
34 xstow -D foo-1.2.3
35 xstow foo-1.2.4
36