From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo + wifi
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 20:40:58
1 On 22/03/2021 13:17, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > If you don't want to spend quite that much money, I'm a fan of
3 > Lenonovo Moto "G" series phones. You get a lot of phone for your money
4 > and very little "bloat". A few of the models used to be available as
5 > pure vanilla android, but I don't know if any of the current models
6 > are.
7
8 Agreed. I had a G5 (all the reviews said it was the lemon between the G4
9 and the G6, but I liked it). It's now been replaced by a G8. The main
10 thing I don't like is the stock android! It's changed between the 5 and
11 8 - from Android 8.1 to 10. And afaik they're all close to stock.
12
13 The other thing is to look at your contract - I pay £5/month for
14 unlimited minutes and texts, and 2GB data.
15
16 I don't know whether the wi-fi would be a good deal - my experience of
17 free wi-fi is it assumes you're using a browser, so if you're using a
18 mail client or whatever things tend to break ... And it's filtered, so a
19 lot of sites I do (or did) visit get blocked ... Make sure the wifi is
20 pure access without any of that sort of crap.
21
22 The phone itself should allow tethering no problem - that's what we use
23 when we go away. And if tethering works and you get an unlimited data
24 contract, then you've got all you need (that sort of contract is about
25 £30, iirc).
26
27 Cheers,
28 Wol