From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:40:51
1 On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 06:52:12AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> A complete reboot like that might be software jumping to the wrong
4 >> address but, if so, it seems to me that it's more likely caused by how
5 >> you've built the machine and not the software itself having a bug.
6 >
7 > If this is a continuation of Dale's previous problems, it is most
8 > likely that the reboot is caused by him having enabled the kernel
9 > option to reboot on panic. The question then is, what is causing the
10 > kernel to panic?
11 >
12 > W
13
14 Ah, yes. I forgot that he talked about turning that on. I've never
15 used the option myself so it didn't enter my thinking.
16
17 OK, so I guess we're down to thinking this is just the same old
18 problem with this machine? What a drag to do all this stuff and then
19 make no headway!
20
21 I think it would be helpful at this point to see emerge --info and the
22 sort of stuff I outlined earlier. What else can we do?
23
24 There still exists the possibility of a bad piece of hardware. A
25 defective GPU, thermal issues on a motherboard in a system built at
26 home, etc.
27
28 I also think that a network debug console of some time might be
29 instructive if Dale is up to getting it operating.
30
31 - Mark