From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Video editing advice on formats and size of file
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 15:42:19
1 On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
5 >> I been doing some testing on this.  I went to about the end of a 3 hour
6 >> video.  By the time it gets near the end of the video, the sound is almost
7 >> 1.4 seconds off.  I tested this by telling smplayer to adjust the audio
8 >> delay.  It is a bit annoying to see something on screen then hear it a
9 >> second or so later.  It's like seeing a explosion at a distance.  You see it
10 >> then have to wait for the sound wave to hit you.  When I am midways of the
11 >> video, it is about .6 to .7 seconds off.  So, it gets farther off as it
12 >> goes.  It's most likely one step off that just gets worse as it goes.
13 >>
14 >> I tried a couple other commands but I get errors about the file type.  I
15 >> think a couple movies are in flv1 which is old.  I may have to convert them
16 >> then stitch them together, which may not do the sound any good then either.
17 >> lol
18 >>
19 >> Well, I got something to play with.
20 >>
21 >> Dale
22 >>
23 >> :-)  :-)
26 > Well, I tried to go to sleep and come back to this tomorrow.  I couldn't
27 > sleep so here I am again.  While laying there I came up with a idea.  I
28 > stitched the first two videos together into a temporary file.  Then I
29 > stitched the temporary file to the 3rd video.  The sound is off but it sort
30 > of resets when it reached the stitch point so it is a good bit closer than
31 > it was.
32 >
33 > If I ever get me a video camera, I'm going to know to not break up videos if
34 > I ever plan to put them back together again.  It appears that when you break
35 > the video, it is like humpty dumpty.  You just can't quite get it back
36 > together again.
37 >
38 > At least this way is faster tho.  Thanks to all for the ideas.  I'm still
39 > testing things.
40
41 There are ways to fix the sync, I just don't know what they are. Don't
42 give up hope. :)
43
44 Though...hm. One thing you might try is keeping the 'video' streams in
45 'copy' mode, but transcode the audio streams to something like 256kb/s
46 MP3. It'll increase your file size slightly, but the tools may be
47 clever enough to maintain sync better that way.
51 :wq