From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 23:28:28
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2017-12-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 2017-12-18, John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Grant Edwards
5 >>> <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> How do I skip grub and continue?
8 >>> emerge --skipfirst --resume
9 > [...]
10 >
11 >> Oddly, the failing package (grub:0) wasn't the first one: it was about
12 >> 5-6 packags down the list. So I used --exclude instead. We'll see
13 >> how far that gets...
14 > It took a couple days, but after "resuming" the emerge three times, it
15 > finished. The three failures were grub:0, matplotlib, and crrcsim.
16 >
17 > Each time the failed package was around 5th on the list when I did a
18 > resume. And, each time emerge insisted on rebuilding gcc and glibc
19 > first. [I don't remember what else preceded the failed packages when
20 > I did the resumes.]
21 >
22 > I think I'll postpone upgrading to profile 17 on my "real work"
23 > computers where I have a lot more packages installed.
27 I'm not sure why or what all this involves but there is a thread on -dev
28 about a 17.1 profile coming at some point.  One may want to consider
29 waiting to do to much for that.  Some of the messages make it seem to be
30 a really large process to upgrade to it.  I'm hoping some or even most
31 of it is just the devs testing things.  o_O
32
33 Just a thought.
34
35 Dale