From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 08:43:46
1 On K, 2017-12-20 at 17:28 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2017-12-18, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > On 2017-12-18, John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > > On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Grant Edwards
6 > > > > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > > >
8 > > > > > How do I skip grub and continue?
9 > > > > emerge --skipfirst --resume
10 > > [...]
11 > >
12 > > > Oddly, the failing package (grub:0) wasn't the first one: it was
13 > > > about
14 > > > 5-6 packags down the list.  So I used --exclude instead.  We'll
15 > > > see
16 > > > how far that gets...
17 > > It took a couple days, but after "resuming" the emerge three times,
18 > > it
19 > > finished.  The three failures were grub:0, matplotlib, and crrcsim.
20 > >
21 > > Each time the failed package was around 5th on the list when I did
22 > > a
23 > > resume.  And, each time emerge insisted on rebuilding gcc and glibc
24 > > first.  [I don't remember what else preceded the failed packages
25 > > when
26 > > I did the resumes.]
27 > >
28 > > I think I'll postpone upgrading to profile 17 on my "real work"
29 > > computers where I have a lot more packages installed.
33 > I'm not sure why or what all this involves but there is a thread on
34 > -dev
35 > about a 17.1 profile coming at some point.  One may want to consider
36 > waiting to do to much for that.  Some of the messages make it seem to
37 > be
38 > a really large process to upgrade to it.  I'm hoping some or even
39 > most
40 > of it is just the devs testing things.  o_O
41 >
42 > Just a thought.
43
44 It's about making /usr/lib not be a symlink to lib64 anymore on amd64.
45
46 I wouldn't wait for it, could get complicated and messy to do both at
47 once. If 17.1 pans out (or well, maybe "18.0" when going out of
48 experimental testing phase next year..), it won't need a full rebuild,
49 at most only things that have /usr/lib/ entries (instead of /usr/lib64
50 or /usr/lib32) in portage CONTENTS file in VDB to fix those things up
51 after the migration tool.
52
53 And I don't see anything overeager in --depclean. Maybe a dependency
54 was removed later, so with still default "--dynamic-deps y" you get
55 them removed now. If this breaks something, then there's an automagic
56 dep involved (which should have a bug report and be fixed), or some
57 changes done to some ebuild without proper revbump.
58 I think --with-bdeps toggling might let it remove build-time only deps,
59 though. I didn't observe that being used in the thread here in a way
60 that lets these build-time only deps get removed, for that to be it.