From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutting down process hangs - how to proceed?
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:46:53
1 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
5 >> covici@××××××××××.com <covici@××××××××××.com> [09-09-19 15:19]:
6 >>
7 >> I solved the problem:
8 >>
9 >> /etc/slim.conf has the
10 >>
11 >> daemon = no
12 >>
13 >> flag, so the boot process seems optically ok but hangs right
14 >> after slim hast started.
15 >> Shutting down the system tries to stop services/processes/action,
16 >> which never has been started...which fails in a hang.
17 >>
18 >> I dont know exactly...but...if that flag is the default configuration
19 >> when installing slim I would suggest to change it to
20 >>
21 >> daemon = yes
22 >>
23 >> to prevent users like me to spend the weekend in searching for a
24 >> problem in the shutdown process.
27 > I don't have such a file, or as far as I know, such a package. My
28 > shutdown does not hang, it just says no more processes left at this run
29 > level and sits there forever and will not restart the system.
33 Has the OP checked his inittab file? I ran into something like this
34 once a long time ago and I had to replace the inittab file since some of
35 it was gone. That file belongs to sysvinit so it may be worth
36 re-emerging that to see if helps.
37
38 I can post mine if you want something to compare to. Off list of
39 course. Then again, it may not be to big.
40
41 Dale
42