From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Shutting down process hangs - how to proceed?
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:42:28
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > covici@××××××××××.com <covici@××××××××××.com> [09-09-19 15:19]:
4 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > On Saturday 19 September 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
7 > > > > > cleaner shutdown. This is taken from a email that was sent to me during
8 > > > > > that horrible xorg-server and hal upgrade.
9 > > > > >
10 > > > > > > Hold down Atl, hold down SysRq, press each of the keys in turn. The
11 > > > > > > usual full sequence is R-E-I-S-U-B Reboot Even If System Utterly
12 > > > > > > Broken By ${DEITY} - this tagline picker is spooky at times :-O
13 > > > > > > -- Neil Bothwick
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > I tried this once when I was unable to get my keyboard to respond to
16 > > > > > anything else. I made it through the first three or four and was
17 > > > > > returned to a console with a working keyboard. Since you are shutting
18 > > > > > down, you may want to go through them all to be safe. I think the last
19 > > > > > one does a reboot.
20 > > > > >
21 > > > > > Hope that helps.
22 > > > > >
23 > > > > > Dale
24 > > > > >
25 > > > > > :-) :-)
26 > > > >
27 > > > > Hi Dale,
28 > > > >
29 > > > > thanks a lot for your help!!! :)
30 > > > >
31 > > > > This will help to bring donw the machine in an more
32 > > > > cleaner way as simply pressing the power switch ;-)
33 > > > >
34 > > > > But:
35 > > > > How can I figure out, what hangs the shutdown process itsself?
36 > > >
37 > > > Last time I came across a problem like this I had forgotten to select the
38 > > > right chipset under Graphics support/AGP Support/ in the kernel. So I
39 > > > suggest you revisit your kernel and xorg drivers setups for your card.
40 > > > --
41 > > Hi. I have a somewhat similar problem, when I shutdown it goes all the
42 > > way to the end, but instead of shutting down, it says
43 > > init: nomore processes left in this runlevel. This is fine if I am
44 > > here, but from a remote location it would not work, so how can I figure
45 > > out why this is happening? I think this started when I went to
46 > > baselayout 2, but not certain of that.
49 > I solved the problem:
50 >
51 > /etc/slim.conf has the
52 >
53 > daemon = no
54 >
55 > flag, so the boot process seems optically ok but hangs right
56 > after slim hast started.
57 > Shutting down the system tries to stop services/processes/action,
58 > which never has been started...which fails in a hang.
59 >
60 > I dont know exactly...but...if that flag is the default configuration
61 > when installing slim I would suggest to change it to
62 >
63 > daemon = yes
64 >
65 > to prevent users like me to spend the weekend in searching for a
66 > problem in the shutdown process.
67 >
68 I don't have such a file, or as far as I know, such a package. My
69 shutdown does not hang, it just says no more processes left at this run
70 level and sits there forever and will not restart the system.
73 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
74 How do
75 you spend it?
76
77 John Covici