From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New box
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2016 16:44:34
1 "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 12/30/2016 08:39 AM, lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> thelma@×××××××××××.com writes:
6 >>
7 >>> I'm putting a new system, it will be running mainly, VirtualBox,
8 > [...]
9 >> If you want a rock solid machine with lots of cores and RAM and very
10 >> capable of powering VMs, the HP Z800 is worthwhile to check out.
11 > [...]
12 >>
13 > You can build a system with a (new) KGPE-D16, two used 6276 processors
14 > and used 64gb ecc ram for only around $500 which will net you a 32
15 > core computer that can run blob free no microcode coreboot that
16 > supports max 256GB RDIMM RAM.
17
18 Including an excellent 850W power supply, a good case, SAS RAID
19 controller and a graphics card?
20
21 The 6276 is a more power hungry than a Xeon and runs at only 2.3GHz
22 (though I don't know how that compares to the Xeon). Power consumption
23 is an issue for me because electricity is way too expensive here.
24
25 Asus doesn't seem to say anything about coreboot?
26
27 > There is another coreboot compatible (theoretically, but not tested)
28 > QP max 1TB (jesus christ) RDIMM RAM G34 motherboard, so you could have
29 > 64 cores for only $20 or so per 16 cores. (plus the $30 for a cpu
30 > cooler)
31
32 It's good to have so many options to choose from :) Considering all
33 this, is there a good reason to go for an FX-8350?