From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New box
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2016 08:27:25
1 On 12/30/2016 11:43 AM, lee wrote:
2
3 > "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com> writes:
4 >
5 >> On 12/30/2016 08:39 AM, lee wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> thelma@×××××××××××.com writes:
8 >>>
9 >>>> I'm putting a new system, it will be running mainly, VirtualBox,
10 >> [...]
11 >>> If you want a rock solid machine with lots of cores and RAM and very
12 >>> capable of powering VMs, the HP Z800 is worthwhile to check out.
13 >> [...]
14 >> You can build a system with a (new) KGPE-D16, two used 6276 processors
15 >> and used 64gb ecc ram for only around $500 which will net you a 32
16 >> core computer that can run blob free no microcode coreboot that
17 >> supports max 256GB RDIMM RAM.
18 > Including an excellent 850W power supply, a good case, SAS RAID
19 > controller and a graphics card?
20 >
21 > The 6276 is a more power hungry than a Xeon and runs at only 2.3GHz
22 > (though I don't know how that compares to the Xeon). Power consumption
23 > is an issue for me because electricity is way too expensive here.
24 >
25 > Asus doesn't seem to say anything about coreboot?
26 >
27 >> There is another coreboot compatible (theoretically, but not tested)
28 >> QP max 1TB (jesus christ) RDIMM RAM G34 motherboard, so you could have
29 >> 64 cores for only $20 or so per 16 cores. (plus the $30 for a cpu
30 >> cooler)
31 > It's good to have so many options to choose from :) Considering all
32 > this, is there a good reason to go for an FX-8350?
33 >
34 Ahh good point, I was assuming he already had a case like I did. I have
35 a single 6274 plus graphics card with a *quality* 500watt PSU and it
36 works fine at full load.
37 6 cores vs 16 cores and coreboot with zero blobs or microcode, IMO the
38 power consumption is greatly worth it.
39
40 Asus didn't implement coreboot on the kgpe-d16 (asus sucks), it was done
41 by the firmware heroes at raptor engineering.
42
43 6276 actually runs at 2.6ghz with turbo assuming you have proper
44 cooling, and 8 cores can turbo to 3.2ghz if the other 8 are in CC6.
47 If you care about linux you will care about free firmware, if we do not
48 care one day microsoft will simply flip a switch and shut us out for
49 good ("secure" boot 2.0 spec does not mandate the option to disable it)