From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DNS error with ssh
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 05:25:30
1 On 07/08/2011 11:58 AM, Grant wrote:
2 >>> I'm not able to ssh to any domain, although IPs work. I get:
3 >>>
4 >>> $ ssh example.com
5 >>> ssh: Could not resolve hostname example.com: Name or service not known
6 >>>
7 >>> I can ping domains no problem, and web browsing works. I've tried
8 >>> rebooting and re-emerging openssh. I am connected to an unfamiliar
9 >>> wireless network (with no alternative right now) but I could ssh to
10 >>> domains no problem over this network before. Does this make sense to
11 >>> anyone?
12 >>
13 >> It does not :)
14 >>
15 >> So, if you do:
16 >>
17 >> host example.com
18 >>
19 >> it shows the correct IP address?
20 >
21 > I get:
22 >
23 > $ host google.com
24 > google.com has address 74.125.224.83
25
26 > $ ssh google.com
27 > ssh: Could not resolve hostname google.com: Name or service not known
28
29 When I do ssh google.com the process hangs until I kill it, but it does
30 find the right IP address. Along the way it checks /etc/gai.conf, which
31 is installed by glibc and is used by the getaddrinfo(3) system call.
32
33 My gai.conf has only three uncommented lines:
34
35 scopev4 ::ffff:169.254.0.0/112 2
36 scopev4 ::ffff:127.0.0.0/104 2
37 scopev4 ::ffff:0.0.0.0/96 14
38
39 Of course, lots of other files are consulted, as already mentioned in
40 this thread. I mention gai.conf only because I'd never heard of it
41 until I ran strace on ssh just now.