From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DNS error with ssh
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 19:15:42
1 >> I'm not able to ssh to any domain, although IPs work.  I get:
2 >>
3 >> $ ssh example.com
4 >> ssh: Could not resolve hostname example.com: Name or service not known
5 >>
6 >> I can ping domains no problem, and web browsing works.  I've tried
7 >> rebooting and re-emerging openssh.  I am connected to an unfamiliar
8 >> wireless network (with no alternative right now) but I could ssh to
9 >> domains no problem over this network before.  Does this make sense to
10 >> anyone?
11 >
12 > It does not :)
13 >
14 > So, if you do:
15 >
16 > host example.com
17 >
18 > it shows the correct IP address?
19
20 I get:
21
22 $ host google.com
23 google.com has address 74.125.224.83
24 google.com has address 74.125.224.84
25 google.com has address 74.125.224.80
26 google.com has address 74.125.224.81
27 google.com has address 74.125.224.82
28 google.com mail is handled by 50 alt4.aspmx.l.google.com.
29 google.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx.l.google.com.
30 google.com mail is handled by 20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
31 google.com mail is handled by 30 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
32 google.com mail is handled by 40 alt3.aspmx.l.google.com.
33 $ ssh google.com
34 ssh: Could not resolve hostname google.com: Name or service not known
35
36 - Grant