From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DNS error with ssh
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 23:12:19
1 On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm not able to ssh to any domain, although IPs work.  I get:
3 >
4 > $ ssh example.com
5 > ssh: Could not resolve hostname example.com: Name or service not known
6 >
7 > I can ping domains no problem, and web browsing works.  I've tried
8 > rebooting and re-emerging openssh.  I am connected to an unfamiliar
9 > wireless network (with no alternative right now) but I could ssh to
10 > domains no problem over this network before.  Does this make sense to
11 > anyone?
12
13 It does not :)
14
15 So, if you do:
16
17 host example.com
18
19 it shows the correct IP address?
20
21 If you ssh to that IP address, it works?
22
23 Nothing related to this hostname is in your /etc/hosts is it? Does
24 your /etc/resolv.conf look okay to you?
25
26 Weird...