From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ridiculously wide handbook pages
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 18:50:47
1 On 2010-09-30, Darren Kirby <bulliver@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Grant Edwards
4 >> <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> I've noticed recently that the Gentoo handbook web pages are
6 >>> ridiculously wide. (It seems to me that they didn't used to be, but I
7 >>> wouldn't swear to that).
8 >>>
9 >>> For example, look at this page:
10 >>>
11 >>> ?http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=2
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> I'll admit that a couple of times I've found this frustrating but not
15 >> enough that I'd ask anyone to change things.
16 >>
17 >> I think the frustration, candidly, is that the web page programming
18 >> doesn't allow me to narrow the page as much as I might like and still
19 >> read the text. Sometimes I just want the browser to cover 1/2 the
20 >> screen, so that might be 600 pixels or so. Or maybe this is a Firefox
21 >> thing, not sure.
22
23 > OK, well this is getting weird because that is exactly the behavior I
24 > am seeing from both firefox and konqueror...it would appear I'm the
25 > only one?
26 >
27 > To be absolutely clear: When I resize the windows the text reformats
28 > itself on the fly from wide short paragraphs to narrow long
29 > paragraphs.
30
31 That only happens for me on pages that don't have any literal
32 (listing?) blocsk with light-blue backgrounds.
33
34 > No horizontal scroll bar which I agree is beyond annoying. This is
35 > the behavior I see from pretty much all well-designed web pages, and
36 > I rather thought it was default.
37
38 The stuff in the light-blue blocks can't be wrapped/reformatted, so
39 when you narrow the window so that it's not wide enough for any of the
40 light-blue blocks on the page, you _should_ get a scroll bar. Do
41 those light-blue blocks get reformatted for you? Or do they just get
42 clipped with way scroll-right and see them?
43
44 However, even you need to use the scrollbar to see the right-hand-end
45 of a light-blue block, I think the normal paragraphs should reformat
46 so they stay visible.
47
48 I know that can be done, because the web pages I create with asciidoc
49 behave that way. Letting the width of the text blocks for any given
50 page be determined by the width of the command-line examlples doesn't
51 make sense to me.
54 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I just had a NOSE
55 at JOB!!
56 gmail.com