From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gigabyte mobo latency
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 20:57:33
1 On 19/10/2014 22:40, James wrote:
2 > You and the other systemd (herd/project) dudes are wonderful. Right now,
3 > I just like openrc/cgroups/assembler and stories from other old_farts.
4 > You young whipper_snappers should be very glad us old farts still hack
5 > and hang out like we do. Kids might look at him and say "Wow". Older folks
6 > just murmur under their breath that this snot_nosed_kid should have been
7 > bitch_slapped by that idiot Linus. He failure to reign in that looser
8 > cannot be white_washed by anyone; so let's just let this go.......
9 > The more I read about the entire affair the more pissed I get.
12 Relax James, it's all good and the wheel turns.
13
14 I'm an old fart too, the first computer I ever owned was a Sinclair Mk
15 14 and I built it by hand from a kit. I've met 3 people who even know
16 what it is :-)
17
18 Anyway, all the lessons of the past are never truly forgotten, and most
19 of us do know how to pick the right tool for the job. These young
20 whipper-snappers think that cloud is the bestest and most awesomest
21 thing ever, folks over 35 know that this is the THIRD time we've gone
22 through this evolution (had stuff in a "data centre" and now farming it
23 out to a "cloud"). In 5 years from now it will all consolidate and we'll
24 be pulling the cloud back into data centres. It will look different, but
25 the principle will be the same.
26
27 Like splitting the CPU & GPU, I lose count of the number of times we've
28 done this too (think math co-processors and mainframe front-end
29 controllers and DMA).
30
31 And so it is with systemd, right now it is the buzz word because it's
32 declarative, easy to maintain and simplifies keeping control of complex
33 systems with gobs and gobs of RAM (RAM is cheap, dev and sysadmin time
34 is very expensive). Embedded: ah, that's another story. RAM is very
35 expensive there and in short supply. If it hasn't already been done,
36 someone will write an init system for constrained embedded devices that
37 has no need of systemd, and it will be better than SysVInit
38
39 Systemd will never take over the world - as soon as it causes too much
40 pain for someone who doesn't need it, they will find a way to get along
41 without it. And those who do need/want it can still have it.
42
43 This is just how things work, and you've seen it all play out before :-)
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com