From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loss of performance...OpenGL?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:33:10
1 On Sonntag 11 Januar 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Playing videos with mplayer produces an output of
5 >
6 > ************************************************
7 > **** Your system is too SLOW to play this! ****
8 > ************************************************
9 >
10 > , diplaying of dvb-t broadcasts are often interrupted (screen freezes,
11 > audio continues) or otherwise disturbed (colored blocks, "flashes"
12 > etc.)
13 >
14 > The CPU meter of gkrellm shows a high overall CPU load with a greater
15 > part of load of system processes.
16 >
17 > Another indication of something, which is going wrong here is, that blender
18 > goes into the digital nirwana when rendering sometimes, whith a 100%
19 > system load.
20 >
21 > I suspect the opengl/graphic interface of my PC is somehow screwed up.
22 > I am using (32bit system):
23 >
24 > AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
25 > on a ASUS AV8 mainboard (VIA chipset)
26 > nVidia Corporation GeForce 7600 GT (rev a2) graphics adapter (AGP)
27 > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82 USE="acpi gtk -custom-cflags (-multilib)
28 >
29 > Everything else not graphic/opengl related works fine and as fast as
30 > one could expect from a PC like that.
31 >
32 > I installed nvidia drivers vi aemerge which automagically eselects the
33 > opengl interface.
34 >
35 > I attached the latest xorg.log for information purposes.
36 >
37 > It works for a couple of time...and then (time unknown) problems
38 > arises as described.
39 >
40 > How can I pinpoint the problem and how can I fix it?
41 >
42 > Kind regards,
43 > Meino Cramer
44
45 are you using composite? if yes, don't. Or install the latest nvidia driver.