From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loss of performance...OpenGL?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:00:28
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> [09-01-11 14:35]:
2 > On Sonntag 11 Januar 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Playing videos with mplayer produces an output of
6 > >
7 > > ************************************************
8 > > **** Your system is too SLOW to play this! ****
9 > > ************************************************
10 > >
11 > > , diplaying of dvb-t broadcasts are often interrupted (screen freezes,
12 > > audio continues) or otherwise disturbed (colored blocks, "flashes"
13 > > etc.)
14 > >
15 > > The CPU meter of gkrellm shows a high overall CPU load with a greater
16 > > part of load of system processes.
17 > >
18 > > Another indication of something, which is going wrong here is, that blender
19 > > goes into the digital nirwana when rendering sometimes, whith a 100%
20 > > system load.
21 > >
22 > > I suspect the opengl/graphic interface of my PC is somehow screwed up.
23 > > I am using (32bit system):
24 > >
25 > > AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
26 > > on a ASUS AV8 mainboard (VIA chipset)
27 > > nVidia Corporation GeForce 7600 GT (rev a2) graphics adapter (AGP)
28 > > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82 USE="acpi gtk -custom-cflags (-multilib)
29 > >
30 > > Everything else not graphic/opengl related works fine and as fast as
31 > > one could expect from a PC like that.
32 > >
33 > > I installed nvidia drivers vi aemerge which automagically eselects the
34 > > opengl interface.
35 > >
36 > > I attached the latest xorg.log for information purposes.
37 > >
38 > > It works for a couple of time...and then (time unknown) problems
39 > > arises as described.
40 > >
41 > > How can I pinpoint the problem and how can I fix it?
42 > >
43 > > Kind regards,
44 > > Meino Cramer
45 >
46 > are you using composite? if yes, don't. Or install the latest nvidia driver.
50 In my initial posting I mentioned the driver, which is installed on my
51 PC
52
53 > > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82 USE="acpi gtk -custom-cflags (-multilib)
54
55 This is -- according to "emerge -pv..." the newest available...
56
57 Is it needed to switch off Composite with that version ?
62 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
63 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
64 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
65 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.