From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loss of performance...OpenGL?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:08:11
1 On Sonntag 11 Januar 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > > are you using composite? if yes, don't. Or install the latest nvidia
4 > > driver.
5 >
6 > In my initial posting I mentioned the driver, which is installed on my
7 > PC
8 >
9 > > > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82 USE="acpi gtk -custom-cflags
10 > > > (-multilib)
11 >
12 > This is -- according to "emerge -pv..." the newest available...
15 no, it is not. The latest are 180something and they solved some 2d slowness
16 issues with that driver.
17
18 > Is it needed to switch off Composite with that version ?
19
20 composite makes 2d very slow with drivers prior to 180. You don't have to
21 disable composite in xorg.conf. Just don't use compiz and deactivate all
22 effects in gnome/kde.
23 btw, xorg.conf would be nice to see.