From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loss of performance...OpenGL?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:23:23
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> [09-01-11 15:15]:
2 > On Sonntag 11 Januar 2009, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > > are you using composite? if yes, don't. Or install the latest nvidia
5 > > > driver.
6 > >
7 > > In my initial posting I mentioned the driver, which is installed on my
8 > > PC
9 > >
10 > > > > x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82 USE="acpi gtk -custom-cflags
11 > > > > (-multilib)
12 > >
13 > > This is -- according to "emerge -pv..." the newest available...
16 > no, it is not. The latest are 180something and they solved some 2d slowness
17 > issues with that driver.
18 >
19 > > Is it needed to switch off Composite with that version ?
20 >
21 > composite makes 2d very slow with drivers prior to 180. You don't have to
22 > disable composite in xorg.conf. Just don't use compiz and deactivate all
23 > effects in gnome/kde.
24 > btw, xorg.conf would be nice to see.
28 Oh by the way: I am neither using KDE nor GNOME. I am using IceWM.
32 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
33 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
34 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
35 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.