From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:41:31
1 On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 18:16:19 +0100
2 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > No flames from me. I agree. I wouldn't recommend Gentoo to
5 > > someone who has no, or even very little, Linux experience. Looking
6 > > back, I was one heck of a noob when I installed Gentoo. It had to
7 > > be fools luck that I got it done. Then again, the docs were, and
8 > > still are, really good. You can dang near copy and paste the
9 > > commands.
10 >
11 > I know some people who had very few experience with Linux. But they
12 > succeeded in installing Gentoo. And they learnt a lot by doing so. If
13 > you installed Gentoo, you know Linux.
14 >
15 > That's what I like about Gentoo. You know what you are doing, and many
16 > integral parts are easier to understand than with another distro,
17 > where things are hidden by GUI config tools.
18 >
19 > But if you just want to have a Linux to play around with, go with a
20 > binary distro. You can install Gentoo later if you like, even while
21 > using the Linux you already have. If you have some space onthe disk to
22 > add other partitions. Did I mention yet that LVM is nice for this?
27 Alan McKinnnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com