From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:19:39
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > No flames from me. I agree. I wouldn't recommend Gentoo to someone who
4 > has no, or even very little, Linux experience. Looking back, I was one
5 > heck of a noob when I installed Gentoo. It had to be fools luck that I
6 > got it done. Then again, the docs were, and still are, really good.
7 > You can dang near copy and paste the commands.
8
9 I know some people who had very few experience with Linux. But they
10 succeeded in installing Gentoo. And they learnt a lot by doing so. If
11 you installed Gentoo, you know Linux.
12
13 That's what I like about Gentoo. You know what you are doing, and many
14 integral parts are easier to understand than with another distro, where
15 things are hidden by GUI config tools.
16
17 But if you just want to have a Linux to play around with, go with a
18 binary distro. You can install Gentoo later if you like, even while
19 using the Linux you already have. If you have some space onthe disk to
20 add other partitions. Did I mention yet that LVM is nice for this?
21
22 Wonko