From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [off-topic] - can /var be placed in a separate partition?
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 23:57:56
1 Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > Hi, All
3 >
4 > Is it possible to have /var in a separate partition, mounted during boot?
5 >
6 > Or do the boot process need it to read/write to it?
7 >
8 > I have found that mounting local file systems is one of the very first
9 > tasks on "rc boot".
10 >
11 > Thanks
12 > Francisco
13
14 I think I saw it mentioned on -dev that some time shortly /usr and /var
15 will be needed on / or you will need the init* thingy to boot. That's
16 was my understanding of this mess. So, if you are about to do a install
17 that needs /var on its own partition, I would ask a dev to see how you
18 should plan. I could have misunderstood but I'm pretty sure it's
19 coming. It may also depend on what you are going to be running too. I
20 mention because no need doing it one way now and having to fix it
21 later. That sucks!
22
23 That said, I have /var on its own partition and mine boots fine,
24 although I haven't rebooted in a week or so. I don't think the change
25 has happened yet but is coming. I may have a different answer in a
26 month or so. ;-)
27
28 Dale
29