From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [off-topic] - can /var be placed in a separate partition?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:05:30
1 Thank you!
2
3 And I have found it as a partitioning example on the docs, with "/var" on
4 its own partition (
5 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap4
6 )
7
8 Francisco
11 On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
12
13 > Francisco Ares wrote:
14 >
15 >> Hi, All
16 >>
17 >> Is it possible to have /var in a separate partition, mounted during boot?
18 >>
19 >> Or do the boot process need it to read/write to it?
20 >>
21 >> I have found that mounting local file systems is one of the very first
22 >> tasks on "rc boot".
23 >>
24 >> Thanks
25 >> Francisco
28 > I think I saw it mentioned on -dev that some time shortly /usr and /var
29 > will be needed on / or you will need the init* thingy to boot. That's was
30 > my understanding of this mess. So, if you are about to do a install that
31 > needs /var on its own partition, I would ask a dev to see how you should
32 > plan. I could have misunderstood but I'm pretty sure it's coming. It may
33 > also depend on what you are going to be running too. I mention because no
34 > need doing it one way now and having to fix it later. That sucks!
35 >
36 > That said, I have /var on its own partition and mine boots fine, although I
37 > haven't rebooted in a week or so. I don't think the change has happened yet
38 > but is coming. I may have a different answer in a month or so. ;-)
39 >
40 > Dale
41 >
48 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
49 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one
50 idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." -
51 George Bernard Shaw