From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting style on HTC Dream
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:16:34
1 On Friday 13 November 2009 18:29:49 James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > It's not an iPhone and Apple's psychosis doesn't enter the picture, I can
4 > > install any user-space app I feel like. The warranty is already invalid
5 > > though, for a different reason - I flashed it with an OS and firmware
6 > > that's far superior to the one my carrier thinks I should have
7 >
8 > OH BOY,
9 >
10 > My son wants a droid phone. I'm pushing him towards the HTC droid
11 > as I think we can customize it, if not eventually run embedded
12 > Gentoo on this phone.
13
14 Do you mean "droid" as a synonym for Android?
15
16 Motorola are soon releasing a phone called Droid, you might want to look at
17 it. It will ship with Android 2.0, has a *huge* screen and overall very
18 positive reviews.
19
20 HTC has the Dream (swing out screen with physical keyboard) also known as the
21 G1; plus the Tattoo and Hero (also known as Magic) - these two are touch
22 screen only
23
24 > I'd be most interested in the details of the exact model you purchased
25 > and what resources and howtos you are following, so I can customize
26 > this phone for him, aka linux style...
27
28 I got the G1 Dream as a physical keyboard is a must for me. Virtual keyboards
29 are a nice extra but I just can't get to grips with only that.
30
31 Flashing it is quite easy. The kernel is very recent Linux with the Android
32 user-space APIs as developed (mostly) by Google and a very light-weight Java
33 VM for apps. Google supplies a full SDK free as in freedom plus free as in
34 beer. Anyone familiar with embedded devices will feel right at home.
35
36 To flash it you need root privileges which is a trivial hack; carrier-provided
37 phones usually have this disabled but this too has been hacked around. Then
38 followed Google and HTC's own docs on the flash procedure :-)
39
40 Two sites provide everything you need:
41
42 http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_Dream
43 http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Main_Page
44
45 HTC images available at http://developer.htc.com/adp.html
46
47 This page describes how to install Debian so gentoo will also be possible:
48 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=507291
51 > You are using Verizon as your cellular service? I'm stuck with Verizon
52 > for a variety of reasons....
53
54 I'm in South Africa, where Verizon is something we used to have :-)
55
56 Business rules are different here so very little of the rules here will be
57 applicable in the US
60 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com