From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:42:44
1 On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Aug 14, 2012 11:42 PM, "Helmut Jarausch" <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
4 > wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On 08/14/2012 04:07:39 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> > I think btrfs probably is meant to provide a lot of the modern
9 >>> > features like reiser4 or xfs
10 >>>
11 >>> Unfortunately btrfs is still generally slower than ext4 for example.
12 >>> Checkout http://openbenchmarking.org/, eg
13 >>> http://openbenchmarking.org/s/ext4%20btrfs
14 >>>
15 >>> The OS will use any spare RAM for disk caching, so if there's not much
16 >>> else running on that box, most of your content will be served from
17 >>> RAM. It may be that whatever fs you choose wont make that much of a
18 >>> difference anyways.
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >> If one can run a recent kernel (3.5.x) btrfs seems quite stable (It's used
22 >> by some distribution and Oracle for real work)
23 >> Most benchmark don't use compression since other FS can't use it. But
24 >> that's unfair. With compression, one needs to read
25 >> much less data (my /usr partition has less than 50% of an ext4 partition,
26 >> savings with the root partition are even higher).
27 >>
28 >> I'm using the mount options
29 >> compress=lzo,noacl,noatime,autodefrag,space_cache which require a recent
30 >> kernel.
31 >>
32 >> I'd give it a try.
33 >>
34 >> Helmut.
37 > Are the support tools for btrfs (fsck, defrag, etc.) already complete?
38
39 Do they exist? Yes (sys-fs/btrfs-progs). Are they complete? Probably not...