From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:12:15
1 On Aug 14, 2012 11:42 PM, "Helmut Jarausch" <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > On 08/14/2012 04:07:39 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > I think btrfs probably is meant to provide a lot of the modern
7 >> > features like reiser4 or xfs
8 >>
9 >> Unfortunately btrfs is still generally slower than ext4 for example.
10 >> Checkout http://openbenchmarking.org/, eg
11 >> http://openbenchmarking.org/s/ext4%20btrfs
12 >>
13 >> The OS will use any spare RAM for disk caching, so if there's not much
14 >> else running on that box, most of your content will be served from
15 >> RAM. It may be that whatever fs you choose wont make that much of a
16 >> difference anyways.
19 > If one can run a recent kernel (3.5.x) btrfs seems quite stable (It's
20 used by some distribution and Oracle for real work)
21 > Most benchmark don't use compression since other FS can't use it. But
22 that's unfair. With compression, one needs to read
23 > much less data (my /usr partition has less than 50% of an ext4 partition,
24 savings with the root partition are even higher).
25 >
26 > I'm using the mount options
27 compress=lzo,noacl,noatime,autodefrag,space_cache which require a recent
28 kernel.
29 >
30 > I'd give it a try.
31 >
32 > Helmut.
35 Are the support tools for btrfs (fsck, defrag, etc.) already complete?
36
37 If so, I certainly would like to take it out for a spin...
38
39 Rgds,