From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:38:58
1 On 08/14/2012 04:07:39 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > > I think btrfs probably is meant to provide a lot of the modern
3 > > features like reiser4 or xfs
4 >
5 > Unfortunately btrfs is still generally slower than ext4 for example.
6 > Checkout http://openbenchmarking.org/, eg
7 > http://openbenchmarking.org/s/ext4%20btrfs
8 >
9 > The OS will use any spare RAM for disk caching, so if there's not much
10 > else running on that box, most of your content will be served from
11 > RAM. It may be that whatever fs you choose wont make that much of a
12 > difference anyways.
15 If one can run a recent kernel (3.5.x) btrfs seems quite stable (It's
16 used by some distribution and Oracle for real work)
17 Most benchmark don't use compression since other FS can't use it. But
18 that's unfair. With compression, one needs to read
19 much less data (my /usr partition has less than 50% of an ext4
20 partition, savings with the root partition are even higher).
21
22 I'm using the mount options
23 compress=lzo,noacl,noatime,autodefrag,space_cache which require a
24 recent kernel.
25
26 I'd give it a try.
27