From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:34:20
1 On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 18:36 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 08/14/2012 04:07:39 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
3 > > > I think btrfs probably is meant to provide a lot of the modern
4 > > > features like reiser4 or xfs
5 > >
6 > > Unfortunately btrfs is still generally slower than ext4 for example.
7 > > Checkout http://openbenchmarking.org/, eg
8 > > http://openbenchmarking.org/s/ext4%20btrfs
9 > >
10 > > The OS will use any spare RAM for disk caching, so if there's not much
11 > > else running on that box, most of your content will be served from
12 > > RAM. It may be that whatever fs you choose wont make that much of a
13 > > difference anyways.
16 > If one can run a recent kernel (3.5.x) btrfs seems quite stable (It's
17 > used by some distribution and Oracle for real work)
18 > Most benchmark don't use compression since other FS can't use it. But
19 > that's unfair. With compression, one needs to read
20 > much less data (my /usr partition has less than 50% of an ext4
21 > partition, savings with the root partition are even higher).
22 >
23 > I'm using the mount options
24 > compress=lzo,noacl,noatime,autodefrag,space_cache which require a
25 > recent kernel.
26 >
27 > I'd give it a try.
28 >
29 > Helmut.
33 Whats the latest on fsck tools for BTRFS? - useful ones are still not
34 available right? Reason I am asking is that is not an easy question to
35 google, and my last attempt to use BTRFS for serious work ended in tears
36 when I couldn't rescue a corrupted file system.
37
38 BillK