From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fast file system for cache directory with lot's of files
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:16:01
1 On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 15:31 +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 18:36 +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
3 > > On 08/14/2012 04:07:39 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
4 > > > > I think btrfs probably is meant to provide a lot of the modern
5 > > > > features like reiser4 or xfs
6 > > >
7 > > > Unfortunately btrfs is still generally slower than ext4 for example.
8 > > > Checkout http://openbenchmarking.org/, eg
9 > > > http://openbenchmarking.org/s/ext4%20btrfs
10 > > >
11 > > > The OS will use any spare RAM for disk caching, so if there's not much
12 > > > else running on that box, most of your content will be served from
13 > > > RAM. It may be that whatever fs you choose wont make that much of a
14 > > > difference anyways.
15 > > >
16 > >
17 > > If one can run a recent kernel (3.5.x) btrfs seems quite stable (It's
18 > > used by some distribution and Oracle for real work)
19 > > Most benchmark don't use compression since other FS can't use it. But
20 > > that's unfair. With compression, one needs to read
21 > > much less data (my /usr partition has less than 50% of an ext4
22 > > partition, savings with the root partition are even higher).
23 > >
24 > > I'm using the mount options
25 > > compress=lzo,noacl,noatime,autodefrag,space_cache which require a
26 > > recent kernel.
27 > >
28 > > I'd give it a try.
29 > >
30 > > Helmut.
34 > Whats the latest on fsck tools for BTRFS? - useful ones are still not
35 > available right? Reason I am asking is that is not an easy question to
36 > google, and my last attempt to use BTRFS for serious work ended in tears
37 > when I couldn't rescue a corrupted file system.
38 >
39 > BillK
40
41 Sorry, replying to myself to clarify ... I sent this as I was reading
42 the backlog before the statement that the tools are incomplete. my
43 question is more along the lines of do they work? (which was answered as
44 "I do not know" in posted links which are probably old)
45
46 Another point I just saw is its inability to support swapfiles. Also in
47 the past OO would not compile on a btrfs (/tmp/portage) filesystem as it
48 did something that basicly killed everything. Other packages were fine.
49 Then there was a certain man page I couldnt backup to a btrfs file
50 system, ~/.gvfs files that hung the system when I tried to put on btrfs.
51 Hopefully they have been fixed.
55 BillK