From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resizing multiple images with adding a frame as needed
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 19:15:48
1 On Monday 29 Jun 2015 16:34:16 hw wrote:
2 > Am 24.06.2015 um 07:35 schrieb Mick:
3 > > On Wednesday 24 Jun 2015 01:02:35 wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
4 > >> hw <hw@×××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > >>> Hi,
6 > >>>
7 > >>> suppose I have a number of images that need to be displayed side by
8 > >>> side in a nice layout. The images are of different sizes and have
9 > >>> different aspect ratios.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> To fit the images into the layout, I can scale the images either by
12 > >>> height or width or by percantage, and they will look messy in the
13 > >>> layout because I need to keep their aspect ratio when scaling them.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> So what I need to do is put a frame around each image just as needed
16 > >>> when scaling it so that I will end up with all the images having the
17 > >>> same size while maintaining their aspect ratio.
18 > >>>
19 > >>> I guess 'convert' (from imagemagick) or 'ffmpeg' can do this, yet I
20 > >>> couldn't find out how.
21 > >>>
22 > >>>
23 > >>> (In this particular case, I would set a default size to scale all
24 > >>> images to rather than doing something more complicated like examine
25 > >>> all images in advance to compute a good size to use from the largest
26 > >>> or smallest one or from their average dimensions.)
27 > >>>
28 > >>>
29 > >>> Any ideas how to do this?
30 > >>
31 > >> Look here:
32 > >>
33 > >> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1787356/use-imagemagick-to-place-an-i
34 > >> mag e-inside-a-larger-canvas
35 > >>
36 > >> You must add a resize paremeter as this example is only for placing an
37 > >> image inside a larger canvas. :-)
38 > >>
39 > >> You can easily find more examples in the Internet.
40 > >>
41 > >> --
42 > >> Regards
43 > >> wabe
44 > >
45 > > Give this a spin, or modify accordingly to suit your needs:
46 > >
47 > > ============================================
48 > > #!/bin/bash
49 > > for i in *.JPG; do
50 > >
51 > > name=${i%.JPG}
52 > > convert -resize 900x675 ${i} ${name}_s.jpg
53 > >
54 > > done
55 > > ============================================
56 >
57 > This doesn't add a frame to keep the aspect ratio, or does it?
60 No, the above example will resize it to the dimensions you give it.
63 You can however define the '-geometry' instead and do it in many different
64 ways so as to preserve the aspect ratio. For example if you only give it '-
65 geometry width', then the hight will be automatically adjusted to preserve the
66 current aspect ratio. If you only give '-geometry xheight' then the width
67 will be auto-adjusted to retain the aspect ratio.
68
69 You can also use scale% as a geometry parameter to increase the image by a
70 particular percentage. Have a look at:
71
72 file:///usr/share/doc/imagemagick-6.9.0.3/html/www/command-line-
73 processing.html#geometry
74
75 (depending on your version of imagemagick) for more information.
78 Regards,
79 Mick