From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hardware autodetection at boot
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 20:58:57
1 Am Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008 schrieb Pawel K:
2 > I compiled the kernel with all modules:
3 >
4 > make allmodconfig
5 > make
6 > make modules_install
7 >
8 > I have udev running on my machine since more than a year.
9 > I created the following section in grub.conf:
10 >
11 > title vanilla-all-modules
12 > root (hd0,0)
13 > kernel /boot/kernel-all-modules root=/dev/hda1
14 >
15 > The kernel is unable to mount my ext3 root filesystem.
16 > It shows the following message:
17 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
18 > unknown-block(0,0).
19 >
20 > (hd0,0) is correct since I copied it from my daily grub section.
21 > I have ext3.ko in the following path:
22 > /lib/modules/2.6.24.3/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko
23 >
24 > Could you give me some indications of how to solve this problem.
25
26 Yes. You need to compile the drivers for your hard disc, hard disc controller
27 and root filesystem into the kernel, not as modules. Otherwise the kernel
28 can't access the hardware to load the drivers it needs.
29
30 HTH...
31
32 Dirk