From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Installation on Dell Inspiron Laptop
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:12:39
1 On Saturday 31 March 2007 13:49, Colleen Beamer wrote:
2
3 > I got to the
4 > point where I chroot'd and started the kernel compile. The compile
5 > starts and then, the laptop shuts off on me. On initial start with the
6 > Stage 3 install CD, I started using 'gentoo dopcmcia nolvm2 agpgart
7 > acpi=on', but I also tried without the acpi=on parameter.
8 >
9 > The very first time I installed Gentoo on the laptop, the laptop was
10 > overheating on builds until I configured power management. However,
11 > this was after the initial installation when I was actually booted into
12 > my system. On the initial kernel compile in the chroot'd environment, I
13 > had no problem on the first two installs.
14
15 If this is an overheating problem you may want to place the laptop on two
16 marker pens, or books, as if bridging them. The idea is that there is plenty
17 of space between the desk and the bottom of the laptop. Then place a small
18 domestic fan at the back of the laptop, aim it at the bottom so that the air
19 flows under the raised laptop and turn it on. That usually keeps it cool
20 enough to complete the build stage.
21
22 HTH.
23 --