From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: WAS [.. min install isos] gentoo vm guest not booting
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:38:21
1 On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > As a follow-up to your problems, and because I'm just plain interested
4 > in this /dev/null,console question, I decided to create a completely
5 > new Gentoo VM myself from scratch this morning. I'm going FAR more
6 > slowly than usual as, like you, I need to get other things done. Also
7 > that I'd like to understand what the tarball does actually provide,
8 > and also when everything in /dev really comes together correctly. (If
9 > indeed it does come together correctly.)
10 >
11 > I'll post back how it's going. My first observation is that the stage3
12 > tarball only provides /dev/null as a normal file and nothing else. I
13 > would guess that this is incorrect as I would think that if the normal
14 > file is there then the special file won't get created later.  I've
15 > never studied how the /dev directory gets created so this will be a
16 > learning experience for me.
17 >
18 > As for having to get some work done, I completely understand. Just
19 > don't give up on us here in Gentoo land, be we real OR virtual...
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 > Mark
25 Harry,
26 I got a few minutes this morning to finish the new Virtualbox VM
27 test install of Gentoo. It worked fine for me.
28
29 If you need any info about this let me know. Here's the main
30 points, the biggest being the use of DEVTMPFS in the kernel.
31
32 If you want the actual kernel config file get in touch off list.
33
34 Cheers,
35 Mark
36
37 Notes:
38
39 1) I chose the PCNET-OCI II NIC and set it as bridged. 4 processors, 2GB memory
40
41 2) /etc/fstab:
42 tux-test ~ # cat /etc/fstab
43 /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
44 /dev/sda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
45 /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
46 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
47 tux-test ~ #
48
49 3) I added DEVTMPFS to the kernel config to get around the missing
50 /dev stuff in the current tarballs:
51
52 tux-test ~ # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep CONFIG_DEVTMPFS
53 CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
54 CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
55 tux-test ~ #
56
57 4) Interestingly, it boots even though I didn't add udev to sysinit:
58
59 tux-test ~ # rc-update show | sort
60 fsck | boot
61 mtab | boot
62 root | boot
63 sshd | default
64 swap | boot
65 devfs | sysinit
66 dmesg | sysinit
67 local | default
68 net.lo | boot
69 procfs | boot
70 sysctl | boot
71 hwclock | boot
72 keymaps | boot
73 modules | boot
74 urandom | boot
75 bootmisc | boot
76 hostname | boot
77 mount-ro | shutdown
78 net.eth0 | default
79 netmount | default
80 killprocs | shutdown
81 savecache | shutdown
82 syslog-ng | default
83 localmount | boot
84 vixie-cron | default
85 termencoding | boot
86 udev-postmount | default
87 tux-test ~ #
88
89 5) World file:
90
91 tux-test ~ # cat /var/lib/portage/world
92 app-admin/logrotate
93 app-admin/syslog-ng
94 app-portage/eix
95 sys-apps/mlocate
96 sys-apps/pciutils
97 sys-boot/grub-static
98 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
99 sys-process/vixie-cron
100 tux-test ~ #
101
102 6) /etc/make.conf file which I stole from another machine. Some USE
103 flags do not make sense in this context but they didn't hurt the
104 build.
105
106 tux-test ~ # cat /etc/make.conf
107
108 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
109 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
110 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
111
112 USE="gstreamer jpeg2k ssse3 vdpau xvmc -bluetooth -cups -ipv6"
113 MAKEOPTS="-j9"
114 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ "
115 SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
116 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
117 INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
118 VIDEO_CARDS="virtualbox"
119 ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
120 LINGUAS="en"
121 ACCEPT_LICENSE="dlj-1.1 PUEL AdobeFlash-10.1 skype-eula"
122 tux-test ~ #