From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Old devfs files in /etc
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:53:12
1 Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 >There is, of course, "an option to tell it to"; you just don't know
4 >about it :-) .
8 You're kidding right. Something that I don't know about, yea right.
9 LOL LOL Treat me like a sponge, I'm absorbing your knowledge, I hope
10 anyway. I have been using Gentoo a while and have a little
11 understanding of how it works but not much. I just know it is better
12 than winders.
13
14 >You might want to have a closer look at the Gentoo Documentation pages,
15 >most specifically
16 >
17 >Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Environment Variables at
18 >http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=5 .
22 That link didn't make sense. That the right chapter? May just be me. LOL
23
24 >In any case, the deal is configuration files are protected by default.
25 >That means that when you unmerge a program (or merge a new version of
26 >the same program), the configuration files will not be automatically
27 >overwritten (or deleted, for that matter). This saves you trouble,
28 >because it doesn't screw up your config, if you later reinstall the
29 >program, or when you update a program that had a complex configuration.
30 >However, it also means that things such as what happened to you can
31 >happen (config files that you want deleted don't get deleted automatically).
35 It is no suprise that I didn't know about it, yet. I did a man emerge
36 and didn't see it. Is it a newer version that I don't have yet? I run
37 stable packages.
38
39 >But the thing is, such files are important enough that they shouldn't be
40 >just deleted like it's nothing. That's the Gentoo design and the Gentoo
41 >way; an action like deleting /etc/devfsd can have sweeping consequences
42 >if the system is not prepared to pick up the ball with udev-- forcing
43 >you to delete it manually is both a way of making sure that you know you
44 >did it, and also making sure you know what you're doing before you do it
45 >(90% of the users ask the list before taking any action, which is fine--
46 >we *want* people to know what they're doing and have a healthy respect
47 >for their own power to bork their system, so good you ask first!)
51 I have been running udev for a while and it seems to be working fine.
52 Time for devfs to go.
53
54 >In any case, yes you can override the setting (of *course*, this is
55 >Gentoo!) to delete certain (or all) protected files after an unmerge of
56 >various programs; but now you have to look up how to do that, and that
57 >means you have to read a bit about the consequences of your proposed
58 >action before taking it (since you don't know how to take it before you
59 >read a bit), and then you have a much better chance of not doing
60 >something that's going to come back and bite you in the butt later, but
61 >will instead make your system more effective for your usage pattern for
62 >the future.
63 >Holly
66 I cheat. When I know I am about to delete some config files that I
67 worry about, I back-up my /etc directory. I save it until I reboot a
68 few times just to make sure. Smart huh?
69
70 Thanks for the help.
71
72 Dale
75 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
80 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list