From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Old devfs files in /etc
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:11:11
1 Dale schreef:
2 > Hi, I switched to udev a while back and have some old devfs files
3 > left in /etc. Here is a list:
6 >> /etc/devfs.d /etc/devfs.d/.keep /etc/modules.devfs.256
7 >> /etc/config-archive/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh
8 >> /etc/config-archive/etc/udev/scripts/ide-devfs.sh.dist
9 >> /etc/modprobe.devfs /etc/modprobe.devfs.256 /etc/modprobe.devfs.old
10 >> /etc/modules.devfs /etc/devfsd.conf
15 > Can I get rid of these files and not kill anything? I already
16 > unmerged devfsd though. It just doesn't get rid of the config files.
17 > It would be nice of there was a option to tell it too.
20 There is, of course, "an option to tell it to"; you just don't know
21 about it :-) .
22
23 You might want to have a closer look at the Gentoo Documentation pages,
24 most specifically
25
26 Gentoo Linux Documentation -- Environment Variables at
27 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=5 .
28
29 In any case, the deal is configuration files are protected by default.
30 That means that when you unmerge a program (or merge a new version of
31 the same program), the configuration files will not be automatically
32 overwritten (or deleted, for that matter). This saves you trouble,
33 because it doesn't screw up your config, if you later reinstall the
34 program, or when you update a program that had a complex configuration.
35 However, it also means that things such as what happened to you can
36 happen (config files that you want deleted don't get deleted automatically).
37
38 But the thing is, such files are important enough that they shouldn't be
39 just deleted like it's nothing. That's the Gentoo design and the Gentoo
40 way; an action like deleting /etc/devfsd can have sweeping consequences
41 if the system is not prepared to pick up the ball with udev-- forcing
42 you to delete it manually is both a way of making sure that you know you
43 did it, and also making sure you know what you're doing before you do it
44 (90% of the users ask the list before taking any action, which is fine--
45 we *want* people to know what they're doing and have a healthy respect
46 for their own power to bork their system, so good you ask first!)
47
48 In any case, yes you can override the setting (of *course*, this is
49 Gentoo!) to delete certain (or all) protected files after an unmerge of
50 various programs; but now you have to look up how to do that, and that
51 means you have to read a bit about the consequences of your proposed
52 action before taking it (since you don't know how to take it before you
53 read a bit), and then you have a much better chance of not doing
54 something that's going to come back and bite you in the butt later, but
55 will instead make your system more effective for your usage pattern for
56 the future.
57
58 Holly
59 --