From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Harddisk priority
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:37:32
1 On Sonntag, 8. Juni 2008, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
2 > Michal 'vorner' Vaner skrev:
3 > > Hello
4 > >
5 > > On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:53:12AM +0200, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
6 > >> I'm running a few processes in a cron-job, which makes the harddisk
7 > >> quiet busy, like the emerge --sync command.
8 > >> I know it's possible to nice them to use less CPU power, but is there a
9 > >> similar approach for reading/writing to the disk?
10 > >
11 > > I heard of tool called ionice, which does exactly this. AFAIK it needs a
12 > > kernel patch.
13 >
14 > Knowing the name of what you're looking for sure helps...
15 > ionice is already installed by the lastest util-linux
16 > It seems to require the CFQ I/O scheduler, anyone know if it's a big
17 > disadvantage to run this scheduler instead of the Anticipatory ???
18 > ...and does anyone know if this works in a default stable Gentoo
19 > installation??
20
21 from my experience CFQ is A LOT better than anticipatory on a desktop.
22
23 And why shouldn't it work?
26 Conclusions
27 In a straight-up fight, the Empire squashes the Federation like a bug. Even
28 with its numerical advantage removed, the Empire would still squash the
29 Federation like a bug. Accept it. -Michael Wong
30 --
31 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list