From: Thomas Pedersen <tp@××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Harddisk priority
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 10:33:07
1 Michal 'vorner' Vaner skrev:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 10:53:12AM +0200, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
5 >
6 >> I'm running a few processes in a cron-job, which makes the harddisk quiet
7 >> busy, like the emerge --sync command.
8 >> I know it's possible to nice them to use less CPU power, but is there a
9 >> similar approach for reading/writing to the disk?
12 > I heard of tool called ionice, which does exactly this. AFAIK it needs a
13 > kernel patch.
16 Knowing the name of what you're looking for sure helps...
17 ionice is already installed by the lastest util-linux
18 It seems to require the CFQ I/O scheduler, anyone know if it's a big
19 disadvantage to run this scheduler instead of the Anticipatory ???
20 ...and does anyone know if this works in a default stable Gentoo
21 installation??
22 --
23 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list