From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:04:46
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 01/26/2014 06:42 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > On 26/01/2014 17:24, eroen wrote:
6 >> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:35:43 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
7 >> <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>> Anyone else noticed this yet? Some portage update seems to have
9 >>> made "emerge -uDN @world" perform about 10 times slower than
10 >>> before. It used to take seconds, now it takes about 4 minutes
11 >>> only to tell me that there's nothing to update. And it does
12 >>> that every time, even directly in succession and with the
13 >>> caches warm.
14 >>>
15 >>> Is it just me?
16 >>
17 >> You don't say when your baseline was, but the complexity of
18 >> resolving the package tree has increased quite a bit over the
19 >> last year due to new features like automatic rebuilds of
20 >> consumers after library updates.
21 >>
22 >> Another somewhat common cause of sudden slowdowns is how portage
23 >> resolves conflicts (like packageA requiring an old version of
24 >> libraryB), which is rather time-consuming. You can try adding
25 >> --backtrack=0 to the emerge command to make it stop and print an
26 >> error message when encountering a conflict rather than look for a
27 >> solution. Then you can 'help' out by manually resolving any
28 >> conflicts by adding package versions to /etc/portage/package.mask
29 >> . Preferably try this *after* running an update, so your system
30 >> is up-to-date against your local version of the gentoo tree,
31 >> otherwise "normal" simple-to-resolve conflicts might cause
32 >> confusion. ;-)
35 > I've been noticing these slowdowns for a few months now too. I'm
36 > somewhat conflicted in my head about them, as unresolved blockers
37 > is now something that happens very rarely. How often did we do this
38 > in the past:
39 >
40 > emerge -avuND world stare at output trying to figure out wtf?
41 > emerge -C <some problem package> emerge -avuND world emerge problem
42 > package back if world update didn't already do it
43 >
44 > That used to happen A LOT, and it took much longer than 4 minutes.
45 > Nowadays it happens seldom but the resolution does take 4 minutes.
46 >
47 > So I dunno, it's annoying to have to wait, but it also prevents a
48 > lot of wasted time by doing what software can do so well -
49 > detecting dependency issues.
54 Dependency resolution is broken and incomplete. Portage is unable to
55 print useful autounmask and similar messages to solve conflicts
56 manually, is unable to solve circular deps at all and bails out on
57 simple things like only updating vim when gvim is installed as well.
58 Then we have dirty workarounds like PDEPEND which shouldn't be there
59 in the first place...
60
61 It's a miracle that it works at all, especially when people keep
62 breaking the cache and rely on undefined behavior. Also... we still
63 have binary files in the tree.
64
65 Each EAPI adds more complexity to the dependency calculation. We have
66 no performance regression tests. We don't have many people who want to
67 look into portage code (can't blame them and since ferringb is gone we
68 don't have any1 who works on the QA-side of the code). Afais, it will
69 get a lot worse.
70
71 So, not sure where your optimism comes from. But... some devs are
72 interested in starting from scratch or picking up pkgcore (which would
73 be the most sane thing to do IMO).