From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage performance dropped considerably
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:30:31
1 On 26/01/2014 20:04, hasufell wrote:
2 > So, not sure where your optimism comes from.
5 It comes from watching what happens at the end of running emerge, don't
6 read any more into it than that. Especially not optimism, I think you
7 might be projecting your own frustrations.
8
9 A couple of years ago I used to have to manually resolve blockers about
10 one world update in two. It started becoming a huge PITA especially as
11 the deps are usually easy to solve - if I can look at the screen for a
12 few seconds and figure it out, then software can do the same in
13 milliseconds. Recent portages now do this properly when viewed from a
14 results-only perspective.
15
16 On my machines, that is what I see happening. That is the ONLY set of
17 FACTS I have to work on; you may have more.
18
19 I'm willing to give up 4 minutes while emerge runs so I don't have to
20 spend many more minutes right afterwards doing manually the very shit
21 that software is very good at. Whether portage is a complete pile of
22 dogshit software or not is beside the point. Even if it is, my 4 minutes
23 still buys me lots <shrug>
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com