From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Weird networking problem
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:58:56
1 I’m trying to set up Gentoo in a Virtualbox on my laptop (running Windows
2 Vista). I’m using the 2007 liveCD image, although I’ve had this same
3 problem with the 2008 liveCD image. The problem is that I can access web
4 pages with links, like www.gentoo.org, but I can’t ping anything. Also,
5 when I tried to download the stage tarball in links, it just showed me a
6 console-graphical representation of the data in the tarball and would not
7 allow me to download the data as a tarball. When I tried to use wget to
8 get the data, it gave me the same problem as ping did – that the location
9 did not exist. What should I do? The IP address of the laptop is
10 192.168.1.102 with the gw at 192.168.1.1, but ifconfig claims the laptop
11 is using inet address 10.0.2.15, yet still somehow it can get to
12 www.gentoo.org. What should I do?