From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gentoo
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 15:57:22
1 On 16 September 2014 17:02:43 CEST, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 09/16/14 14:18, James wrote:
3 >>Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 >>
5 >>>
6 >>> After recent emerge I get few blockers, that I don't know what to do
7 >>> with it My box has not been updated for 3-months :-/
8 >>
9 >>Joseph,
10 >>
11 >>The problems with perl updates are not new. It was discussed on this
12 >>list quite a bit the last few months. If your update cycle is more
13 >than
14 >>a few weeks, you are going to miss the relevant discussions on
15 >gentoo-user
16 >>that solve most of your issues; so maybe update your system
17 >weekly_ish?
18 >>(and browse gentoo-user).
19 >>
20 >>> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "dev-lang/python:3.1".
21 >>
22 >>" eselect python list "
23 >>
24 >>will show your current active version of python. Most all (stable)
25 >systems
26 >>have a version 2 (2.7) and version 3 (3.3) installed. I'm not
27 >>sure why your system did not upgrade 3.1 to 3.3, during the course
28 >>of routine upgrades. Also run:
29 >>
30 >>"python-updater"
31 >>
32 >>after compiling new or removing old version of
33 >>python. python is system *critical* so be cautious when performing
34 >>install/removal admin tasks on python.
38 >>hth,
39 >>James
40 >
41 >Good suggestion.
42 >Running:
43 ># eselect python list
44 ># eselect python set (put number for python:3.3)
45 ># emerge -C dev-lang/python:3.1
46 ># python updater
47 >
48 >solved all the problems.
49 >I was at python:3.3 but for some reason or another (mostly my fault) I
50 >did not unmerged python:3.1
51 >
52 >When it comes to upgrading be-weekly maybe but from my experience, when
53 >I was doing it more often, occasionally, I ended up with a broken
54 >system that was caused by new
55 >packages.
56 >I have 4-boxes at home and two boxes at a remote location. So the
57 >boxes at home get upgraded first, I wait a week, just to make sure
58 >every program works and
59 >then I upgrade one box on a remote location, wait one week again and
60 >upgrade the second box (the backup) in the remote location.
61 >So doing it even every second week would be too often for this routine.
62 >
63 >The boxes are "rsync" to one local box.
64
65 I am starting to wonder.
66 How exactly do you upgrade the other machines?
67 Copying the entire filesystem?
70 Joost
71 --
72 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.