From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Update - HowTo
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 19:30:44
1 On 12/2/06, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > The next step which I'm afraid of is upgrading
3 > to glibc-2.5
4 >
5 > Having destroyed (the system) of my machine some years
6 > ago by upgrading glibc (on Suse), I know that this
7 > is not a trivial step.
8
9 Actually the glibc-2.4 to 2.5 upgrade is pretty trivial, *if* you
10 already have nptl/nptlonly USE flags set. If you are using a i386
11 CHOST (vs i686 or x86_64), then you end up having to change CHOST
12 before you can upgrade since glibc-2.5 is nptlonly, and that is not
13 trivial unfortunately. See the current thread on this list.
14
15 > So, the question:
16 >
17 > Is there a general source of information about
18 > warnings, actions to be taking, etc to be followed
19 > when upgrading certains critical packages.
20
21 Generally speaking, if you set in make.conf:
22
23 PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="warn error log"
24 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"
25
26 then any ebuilds that want to warn you or give you actions to take
27 will create files in /var/log/portage/elog/ for you to read. You can
28 just delete these once you've taken whatever action is required.
29
30 More complicated upgrades (like the switch to modular-X, or gcc
31 upgrades) usually have some kind of guide created before they reach
32 stable. But at this point, there isn't any single-page reference for
33 these guides...probably something we should have.
34
35 -Richard
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list