From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Update - HowTo
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 15:13:45
1 Hi,
2
3 this is a very general question.
4 Having used LinuxFromScratch for several years, I've switched to
5 Gentoo a few month ago.
6 Im must say I'm quite impressed.
7
8 Still, for a newcomer like me, there remains one problem.
9 How to upgrade Gentoo?
10
11 Having tried to upgrade to udev-103 I fell flat on my face until
12 I've found a hint by some helpful soul which indicated
13 that I should unmerge some packages, rc-update del some
14 scripts before I upgrade to udev-103.
15
16 The next step which I'm afraid of is upgrading
17 to glibc-2.5
18
19 Having destroyed (the system) of my machine some years
20 ago by upgrading glibc (on Suse), I know that this
21 is not a trivial step.
22
23 So, the question:
24
25 Is there a general source of information about
26 warnings, actions to be taking, etc to be followed
27 when upgrading certains critical packages.
28
29 Many thanks for your help and hints,
30 Helmut.
34 Helmut Jarausch