From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: forcedeth for XP?
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:01:05
1 On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:03:50 +0000 (UTC)
2 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > From my config file I'm using this driver for 2.6.22-gentoo-r8:
7 > CONFIG_FORCEDETH=y
8 > CONFIG_B44=y
9 >
10 > lspci shows:
11 > 00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
12 > 00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
13 > 03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 02)
14 >
15 > The Broadcom is the wireless ethernet chip, I believe.
18 > Anyway, wired ethernet works fine under Gentoo, but since
19 > it is a dual boot laptop, I need to get the wired ethernet
20 > working under XP (hence, the OT, in the subject. Wireless
21 > is not a concern at the moment.
24 > Does anyone know where I can download just a working ethernet
25 > driver for this chip under XP? (lspci -vvv:
26 >
27 > 00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
28 > Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30b7
29 >
30 > I'm not sure who's ethernet hardware Nvidia uses. Using lshw I see:
31 > product: HP Pavilion dv9000 (GD545AV)
33 > product: 30B9
34 > vendor: Quanta
35 >
36 > *-bridge
38 > product: MCP51 Ethernet Controller
39 > vendor: nVidia Corporation
40 > physical id: 14
41 > bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
42 > logical name: eth0
43 > version: a3
44 > serial: 00:1b:24:66:3a:b0
47 > The original installation partition was Vista and it's gone. I
48 > installed XP pro (working fine except for wired ethernet), but I
49 > cannot seem to find an ethernet driver. HP is useless.... I did get
50 > one fact from the myriad of folks at HP support. There is nothing
51 > about the machine that mandates Vista. All of the hardware should
52 > work with XP. All they will do is send me a recovery CD.
53 >
54 > Maybe somebody (more skilled than I at windoz) could help me locate
55 > a binary or source code ethernet driver that would work under XP pro?
56 > I've googled my fingers off with no luck
59 > desperate (as usual),
60 >
61 > James
64 I usually use the nforce drivers; one of the few manufacturers that do
65 a half decent job w/ drivers is nvidia.
66
67 my ex roommate, a windows tech, however, always recommends you go
68 straight to the chip manufacturer; i guess that would be broadcom.
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list