From: Andreas Claesson <andreas.claesson@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issues with Gentoo & WinXP dualboot setup
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:48:22
1 On 6/5/06, Dmitry Mashkovskiy <smash-lists@×××××××.ru> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've successfully set up Gentoo on the machine with ABIT IS7 motherboard
5 > and two SATA disks (integrated controller on ICH5 chipset, I guess). The
6 > first one is Seagate (Ch2 M. (master?) in BIOS) with WinXP, the second
7 > is Maxtor (Ch3 M. in BIOS) with Gentoo and GRUB in MBR. One problem is
8 > that I cannot boot in Windows while booting with GRUB. Here is my grub.conf:
9 > -------------
10 > default 0
11 > timeout 10
12 >
13 > title=Windows XP
14 > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
15 > makeactive
16 > chainloader +1
17 >
18 > title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.12-r6
19 > root (hd0,0)
20 > kernel /kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/sdb3 irqpoll
21 > -------------
22 > I get only
23 >
24 > Booting 'Windows XP'
25 > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
26 > makeactive
27 > chainloader +1
28 >
29 > and then machine hangs. So I have to set Seagate drive as a boot device
30 > in BIOS in order to boot Windows. How can I work it out? Should I
31 > install GRUB in the MBR of Windows disk?
32 > Another problem is that sometimes machine freezes or falls in kernel
33 > panic while booting Gentoo (usually on probing ATA devices). I suppose
34 > it may be due to buggy/broken hardware but it would be nice to find some
35 > solution or workaround.
38 I believe the problem is that Windows expect to be installed on the first disk
39 and when it is not it fail to start.
40
41 Try adding this before the rootnoverify line:
42
43 map hd0 hd1
44 map hd1 hd0
45
46 This will make the bios change the order of the disks and Windows will
47 hopefully be happy again.
48
49 /Andreas
50 --